Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
4 thick-cut slices bacon, diced small
1 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
½ t. onion powder
½ t. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 c. white quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 c. chicken broth, preferably organic
1½ c. frozen peas
¼ c. single cream (half & half)
4 oz. cream cheese, cut into chunks
½ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
½ c. fresh parsley, chopped
1. Add bacon to a large, high-sided frying pan (skillet) set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess bacon grease from pan.
2. Return pan to medium heat and add sliced chicken, onion powder, and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken starts to develop some colour, approximately 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the quinoa and chicken broth and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, and then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the chicken and quinoa are cooked through, approximately 10-12 minutes.
4. Uncover and stir in frozen peas, single cream, cream cheese, and half of the freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and remove from heat. Cover and let sit for another minute or two or until the cheese is completely melted.
5. Remove cover and stir in fresh parsley. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and serve immediately with remaining Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!