Meringue cookies are similar to pavlovas, but they aren’t supposed to have a chewy marshmallow-like interior. Instead, a properly made meringue will be dry through the centre and will melt in your mouth with very little effort. The end result is light, airy, and incredibly delicious.
Tip: Eggs are easier to separate while they are still chilled. Once separated, reserve the yolks in the refrigerator for another use, if desired, and allow the whites to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to beating.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yields: 65 small cookies (as shown)
4 large egg whites, room temperature
½ t. cream of tartar
1/8 t. salt
¾ c. Swerve confectioners’ sugar replacement
1 t. almond extract
- Adjust the bottom oven rack to the lowest setting and set the top rack two spaces above it. Pre-heat to 95°C and line two large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat™ baking mats. Set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they start to thicken. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue mixing until stiff peaks start to form.
- While still mixing, slowly add the Swerve, one tablespoon at a time, until each spoonful is thoroughly incorporated into the egg whites. Repeat until all the sweetener is added and the mixture becomes stiff and glossy.
- Add the almond extract and mix until just incorporated into the batter.
- Spoon the mixture into an icing bag fitted with a decorative tip. Gently pipe the mixture onto the baking sheets to create small equal-sized cookies. Cookies may be relatively close together because they won’t spread out while baking.
- Place the baking sheets into the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the oven off. Do not open the door. Leave the cookies in the warm oven for two to two-and-a-half hours without opening the door. This will give the cookies time to dry completely.
Tip: The cookies are ready when they easily pop off the parchment paper or Silpat™ baking mats. If they stick, they need additional time to dry.
- Remove baking sheets from oven and serve immediately or transfer the cookies to an airtight container without overcrowding to prevent crushing. Enjoy!
Carbs/Serving (5 Cookies):
Total Carbs: 0.15g
Net Carbs: 0.15g
*Source: HappyForks.com recipe analyzer
This information is provided for entertainment purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice.
Please Note: Nutritional information for this recipe is an approximation because some of the ingredients listed may not be included in the HappyForks.com ingredient database exactly as described here.