This healthy, dairy-free roasted vegetable soup really hits the spot on a cold or chilly day. As an added bonus, it tastes even better the next day, so consider making a double or triple batch. It will store in the refrigerator for several days or it can be frozen for a quick lunch or light dinner later.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Safety Tip: If you don’t have a stick or immersion blender, you can also process the cooked veggies and liquid in a blender. Make sure blender lid is properly vented to prevent the hot liquid from exploding, however.
1½ lbs. Roma tomatoes, halved
2 medium red bell peppers, deseeded and quartered
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, cut in half lengthwise
2 medium shallots, outer skin removed and halved
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 T. fresh thyme leaves
4 c. organic chicken broth
½ c. full-fat coconut milk
½ c. fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
2. Arrange the tomatoes, red peppers, fennel, carrots, shallots, and garlic in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Toss to combine and sprinkle veggies with fresh thyme leaves.
3. Place baking sheet in preheated oven and roast until vegetables are tender and lightly charred, approximately 20-25 minutes.
4. Transfer the roasted veggies and any juices from the baking sheet to a large soup pot and add chicken broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and and bubbly. Remove from heat.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend contents of the soup pot until completely smooth. Stir in the coconut milk and fresh basil, and serve immediately. Enjoy!