Tip: Substitute strained tomatoes if passata is not available.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium white onion, diced
2 large celery stalks, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium aubergine (eggplant), peeled and cubed
2 medium tomatoes, diced
2 T. tomato paste
1 c. tomato passata
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. capers
¼ c. green olives, pitted and sliced
¼ c. raisins
4 6-oz. cod fillets
3 T. fresh parsley leaves, chopped, divided
3 T. sliced almonds, toasted, divided
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C, 400°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over medium heat. Add the onion and celery, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
3. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, along with the garlic and aubergine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the aubergine begins to cook down, around 6-7 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, passata, vinegar, capers, green olives, and raisins. Stir to combine and cover pan with a lid. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, lightly brush each cod fillet with the remaining olive oil and season with salt and black pepper on both sides. Place the fillets on the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven to roast until the fish turns opaque and flakes easily with a fork, approximately 12-13 minutes. (Test after 10 minutes. Do not overcook)
6. Remove lid and stir in two tablespoons each of the fresh parsley and the toasted almonds into the caponata. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
7. Transfer to individual serving plates and garnish with remaining parsley and almonds. Serve immediately with the cod fillets. Enjoy!