Mozzarella Butterflied Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Glaze
This savoury stove top chicken recipe features the delicious flavors of a traditional Caprese salad. Sweet grape tomatoes, fresh Mozzarella, basil, and a rich balsamic glaze elevate otherwise basic chicken breasts to a whole new level. You’ll want to work this one into your regular weeknight dinner rotation because you can get it from the refrigerator to the table in just twenty minutes!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Tip: For easier clean up, place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap before pounding with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin
1 t. Italian seasoning
½ t. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
½ c. balsamic vinegar
2 t. pure maple syrup
1 c. grape tomatoes, quartered
½ small red onion, finely diced
8 oz. fresh Mozzarella, quartered
¼ c. fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) over medium heat. Season the prepared chicken breasts with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder on both sides and add to the hot pan. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
2. While the chicken is cooking, combine the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup in a small saucepan and set over medium heat. Simmer until the mixture thickens and is reduced by half, stirring frequently, approximately 5-6 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine grape tomatoes, red onion, fresh Mozzarella, and basil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
4. When chicken is done cooking, turn off heat and move pan to a cool burner. While still in the pan, top each chicken breast with the tomato and mozzarella mixture and cover for a couple minutes or just until the tomatoes are warmed through.
5. To serve, transfer the chicken to a serving platter or individual plates. Top each breast with the tomato mixture and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Enjoy!